Friday, July 16, 2010

We survived the Quake of 2010!


Most of you may know by now that the Washington, Dc area was awakened this morning at 5am by a 3.6 earthquake. Yes, you read that correctly. Jason and I were both awakened by a rapid, loud shaking that lasted about 7-10 seconds. Surprisingly, I was calm as a cucumber while Jason was shakened up - no pun intended! He sprung up and dashed to the window while I calmly sat up in bed and said that it had to be an earthquake that we just experienced. Jason said that it couldn't have possibly been an earthquake but that it had to be a low flying jet or sonic boom. I decided to go back to bed while Jason went downstairs to investigate further. About a half hour later he ran up the steps confirming what I had thought - it was indeed an earthquake - the largest ever recorded in the Washington, Dc area!

One my ask why I was so calm and so sure that this was an earthquake when I've never experienced one before. The answer to this is that I've experienced several other 'once in a century significant weather events'. Some of you may remember the September flood of '04 The remnants of Hurricane Ivan dumped a record number of rain in the Pittsburgh area causing massive flooding. I vividly remember TV footage showing people jetsking down Route 8! Then there was the great Blizzards of 2010 which we just experienced this past February. These concurrent blizzards dumped over 30 inches of snow paralyzing the Dc area in a matter of 5 days. It feels like yesterday that we were without power for over 24 hours and our wood burning fireplace as our only heat source. Good times, good times!

So as we add this to our checklist of things we've experienced, I have to ask......what's next? Possibly a Tsunami in the Chesapeake or a category 5 Hurricane? Or is this simply the beginning of the end as predicted by the Mayan calendar? All we can do is wait and see.....
Posted by Picasa

No comments: